I suggest you ...

Turn back time on an Ancient Egyptian Bronze Statuette

Today, ancient objects can appear faded, corroded, and dull, which can make it hard to imagine what they could have looked like when they were first made. A current conservation science project attempts to understand and re-create the original appearance of a 2,500-year old statuette, with all its rich coloration and metallic inlay intact.

Using a technique called x-ray fluorescence, we have measured the metal alloy and inlay composition of an ancient bronze object from the Walters Art Museum's permanent collections. With this data, it is possible to extract the original color appearance of the statuette.

Using your expertise, we are searching for a solution that would allow us to best represent the object, with full color information and with damaged areas reconstructed. Provided with panoramic photography of the object, one route might be to develop a way to construct a 3-D model of the object that could then be easily manipulated in a CAD program.

The object can be viewed here: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3AEgyptian_-_Statue_of_a_Seated_Isis_-_Walters_54417_-_Three_Quarter.jpg

35 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kevin ChowKevin Chow shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Todd BlattTodd Blatt commented  · 

Kevin, I'm totally down for taking a bunch of photos from around the object, and using 123D Catch to recreate the model, and then print it out with the MakerBot. I'll have everything there we need to do this

Feedback and Knowledge Base